Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fats Hammond at Chianti

It's Tuesday, it's 40 something degrees but it's pretty HOT at Chianti in Beverly.  Marty, Ken, Mike, and Benny are cookin up some winter stew for you all.

I went and sat in on a couple tunes and it was so hot I burned myself (and a couple of people up front too). First tune was one of Marty's groovers.  Marty was 'shakin' and 'bakin' as usual.  Tonight he was heard to be called, 'the Locksmith'.  hmmm.  If you see him, ask him why.

Next, a super-fast version of Ready and Able.  Good thing I was working on a Hank Mobley transcription earlier in the night or I wouldn't have been able to keep up with these up-tempo rhythm changes.  I really gotta practice my up-tempo improv...   or do I ?

Last we did Tenor Madness at another really fast tempo.  We took two choruses each, ended the night and went to the kitchen where Rich made us some pasta.

We really had the crowd on this set, mostly because the door was stuck shut and everyone was locked in.  Nice trick Rich, I think people bought more drinks because they thought they were stranded at Chianti forever.

Try the Zuccchillini !  Organic zucchini transformed into Linguini in a fresh plum tomato sauce.  Throw a little hot pepper in there and mangia!  These guys have the best zucchillini on Cabot Street in Beverly! :D

CHIANTI
285 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915
http://www.chiantibeverly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment